Top Energy Efficiency Tips for Albuquerque Homes
Everyone likes saving money, right? As an AlbuquerqueHVAC company, we see time after time how little changes around the home can save people money and increase their energy efficiency. We also see how investments in energy efficient technology saves people money in the long run. No matter where you’re at in the life cycle of your furnace and AC, we wanted to share some tips you can apply today and fill you in on some steps you can take to plan for the future.
Energy Efficiency HVAC Tips You Can Apply Yourself—Right Now!
While we’re the HVAC experts, not all efficiency tips require a professional to get a return in your heating and cooling bill. Here are some simple things you can do to increase the energy efficiency in your home.
- Make sure all registers are clear. This is a fairly self-explanatory tip, but not always an obvious one. If your registers are blocked, your HVAC system works a lot harder to heat that particular room. You might keep cranking up the heating or cooling to get your living space to the desired temperature, when really, if you moved a few things around to get better airflow, your home could heat or cool more efficiently.
- Keep curtains and blinds closed as necessary. Everyone loves a well-lit home. But if you feel like your heating/cooling bill is crushing you, consider drawing those drapes during peak hours of the day. If you have a room that gets tons of direct sunlight during the day, closing the drapes or blinds can do wonders to keep the heat out. The same goes for keeping the heat in on those cold nights in the winter!
- Replace furnace filters frequently. A dirty furnace filter causes your HVAC system to work harder than it needs to. You can certainly replace furnace filters on your own—and you should every few months to keep your furnace running optimally. But if you want to consider even more effective options, read more about filters in our recent blog about indoor air quality for Albuquerque homes and businesses.
- Seal and insulate your home. Especially if you have an older home, this may be a way you can save several hundred dollars a year on heating and cooling. You can certainly hire a handyman or contractor to do something like this. Or if you’re feeling brave, Energy Star has an excellent DIY guide for sealing and insulating your home.
Energy Efficiency Tips an Albuquerque HVAC Company Can Do
While there are many helpful steps you can do by yourself to improve the energy efficiency of your home, Bosque Heating, Cooling and Plumbing can also step in and help. Here are a few of the top ways.
- Update to an energy efficient AC unit. It’s true, a new AC unit is a big investment. But when the time comes for AC replacement, choosing an energy efficient model makes a world of difference on your bills. AC units are measured by SEER (the seasonal energy efficiency rating). Older units usually have an 8-10 SEER, while newer units can score up to a 25. This can mean a big difference in your energy bill.
- Update to an energy efficient furnace. Similar to AC units, the efficiency of furnaces has grown exponentially over the past decade. Older furnaces simply aren’t efficient, losing up to 35% of the heated air throughout the process of dispersing it. New, energy-efficient models are 93-98% efficient, losing only the slightest bit of heat. This means you’re spending less money to heat your house to the same temperature.
- Get a smart thermostat. This is something you can do on your own too, but we are happy to help if you need some assistance! For all the benefits of a smart thermostat, check out our previous blog post. But for now, we’ll just say that a smart thermostat will help you save money because it learns your patterns and automatically heats and cools according to when you’re home, what temperatures your prefer for day and night, etc. You don’t have to remember to change the temperaure—the thermostat does it for you! And, if you’re away from home, you can always turn the thermostat up or down to keep from wasting money right from your phone.
- Install a mini split. Mini splits are a great solution for homes with a particular room that gets too hot or too cold. Mini splits provide ductless heating and cooling to a room that can be controlled separately. That way, you aren’t paying to cool your whole house just to get your bedroom cool at night.
Besides Saving $$, Why Does Energy Efficiency Matter?
Of course, you’re familiar with terms like sustainability and carbon footprint. But how does that play into your furnace and AC. And why do these things matter? Well, if an updated, energy efficient furnace and AC unit save you money over time, and that’s motivation enough for you, that’s good enough for us too!
But if you want to go a bit deeper, if you can use less energy to heat and cool your home, you’re using fewer resources. You’re probably aware New Mexico is a national leader in renewable energy, and that it’s a major asset to our state.
But while wind, solar, hydro, and other innovative sources of power are prevalent, we still get the majority of our energy from non-renewable resources, like fossil fuels. So, it’s important to be mindful of how much energy we use, because some of our fuel sources will continue to deplete. Using less energy on an individual level is equally helpful to the wallet of the consumer, and the environment.
Upgrade to an Energy-Efficient HVAC for Your Albuquerque Home
If your HVAC is ready to kick the bucket or you’re just ready for an upgrade, let Bosque Heating, Cooling and Plumbing help your reduce your carbon footprint and save you money with an energy-efficient heating and cooling system. And if you’re needing an AC replacement and money is a concern, we do offer financing so you can pay your new unit off over time. If you have questions about the specific units we offer and the savings they could provide, please contact us today by filling out the form on our website or calling us at (505)444-7200.